Thursday, September 4, 2008

Critical Inquiry

It's always a skeptical moment the first day of class but I don't suppose that is a bad thing if we are all to promote the critic within us. I've read some Frye and I've read some Bloom but I've never owned a book with both their names on the cover. I say "Preposterous"! Why would Harold Bloom do such a thing? Bloom has his own set of ideological blurbs. Why would he want to lay his in addition with someone else. I think I'm a little shaken up from last semester and my engagement with Bloom somehow seems to reignite itself after I saw his name again.
Apart from my little blurb I'm here and eager to swim amongst the various schools of criticism and experience treading water in their particularities. If it so happens that our envelopment in Don Quixote hosts different avenues of different critical inquiries than I believe treading water in literary theory will be ever so refreshing.
If "The Idea of Oder at Key West" helps us navigate the chaos that critical inquiry inspires than I'll wait and listen to all the other students until I'm as comfortable as they in comprehending how that poem helps define our subject matter.

1 comment:

Rosanna said...

Hey there! I always love hearing what you have to say! Hopefully you don't wait too long before giving your own ideas.