Tuesday, October 14, 2008

tuesday-

I'm trying to remember all what was said in class discussion yesterday and I got to thinking about what the variety of questions will be for the test. A vast range of interests I'm sure will construct a most challenging exam. Well, maybe not too challenging because I want to pass. I feel like Frye's theory of modes is father back in the semester than it should be. Although we allude to Fyre's graph of modes and strive to place whatever idea we talk about into it, I'm still wondering where Catcher in the Rye would fit. I feel it kind of belongs in the low mimetic/thematic box but I'm not sure. Would that be placing a kind of modernist notion in a low mimetic? I mean if certain texts that we know kind of exemplify a literary idea does it help to place it into Frye's method for understanding modes or not? Again tonight I had Quixote pop into my head while reading for another class. I kind of chuckled about my thoughts too. I tried to imagine what the sum of Don Quixote and the Terminator would be. If Quixote can get beat up constantly and come back to life in a somewhat coherent state then he must posses some kind of super human endurance or android regenerative qualities. If the Terminator comes from the future with apocalyptic news then I'd like to bet (apart from the story in the movie) that the loss of chivalry must have something to do with it. Even though many of Quixote's engagements with the "enemy" seem ridiculous we must wonder how what he actually forecasts in his mind might be more dangerous than the reality Sancho sees him in, for now. Maybe that will be my question- If Don Quixote engaged the Terminator what would happen? Would Quixote accuse him of possessing his amour or would the Terminator surrender and take over Sancho's duties and service Quixote in his exploits? Answer- both

No comments: